Afghani Lamb and Spinach Curry
Feeds: 6-8 people
350g spinach or kale or combination - chopped
1/3 cup (45g) toasted slivered almonds
- Place lemon zest in bowl and grate on speed 9 for 20 seconds (stopping mid way to scrape down). Set aside.
- Add garlic to bowl and chop speed 9 for 10 seconds. Reduce speed to speed 5 and drop onion onto moving blades for 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 of the oil in the bowl and heat for 1min 30 seconds on Varoma at speed 1. Add lamb in batches (I did batches of 1/3 at a time) and cook for 3 mins Varoma, Reverse Speed 1 to brown meat. Set aside.
- Return garlic and onion mixture to bowl along with spices and cook for 3 mins, 100C on speed 1 1/2.
- Add lamb, tin of tomatoes (undrained) and stock. Cook on 100C, speed REVERSE 1 1/2 for 60mins without the MC in place (sit the basket on top to stop splattering). This will help the sauce thicken. About 10 minutes before the end add lemon rind.
- Tip into serving bowl (this makes about 3 - 31/2 litres so if using Thermoservers you would need 2) over spinach and stir. Sit until spinach has wilted.
- Serve curry on steamed rice with almonds sprinkled over the top.
- This is an adapted Womans Weekly recipe.
- We cut the Cayenne Pepper right back to 2 quick shakes. The curry was quiet mild - and the flavours more even the following day.
- The lemon rind certainly lifts the flavours and is lovely in there.